Each Thursday we bring you a selection of news and commentary from and about the Pacific island region:
- Nine nuclear powers, including the US, are the subject of legal action in the International Court of Justice launched by the Republic of Marshall Islands.
- In Papua New Guinea, the Exxon Mobil LNG project has commenced production ahead of schedule.
- Constitutional reform in Tonga remains 'unfinished business'.
- In Bougainville, the issue of weapons disposal has thrown up some challenging questions.
- At the recent launch of his new book, David Robie identified current and ongoing challenges for media freedom, human rights and justice in West Papua and elsewhere.
- The secretariat of the Pacific Islands Development Forum has been opened in Fiji by Rear Admiral Voreqe Bainimarama. Feleti Teo (an outgoing Deputy Secretary-General of the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat) has been named as its interim Secretary-General.
- After eight years, there is a need to assess the US Navy's Pacific Partnership and see how it can be developed to deliver longer lasting results
- Tweet of the week: