By Anna Kirk, an intern in the Lowy Institute's Melanesia program.
- In Suva last Friday, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop announced that Australia has lifted all sanctions on Fiji, and said that it was 'the start of a new era' in Australia-Fiji relations.
- The two countries also agreed to restore full diplomatic relations, with career diplomat Margaret Twomey set to take up the position of High Commissioner, a position that has been vacant since James Batley was expelled in 2009.
- On the ABC's Pacific Beat, Liam Fox asked ANU's Stewart Firth to what extent Fiji-Australia relations had really changed.
- Senator Brett Mason, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, makes the case for enhanced Pacific Island regionalism on The Interpreter.
- The World Bank has released its 2015 'Doing Business' rankings, with many Pacific Island countries improving their standing.
- Based on the findings of a recent report by PNG's National Research Institute and ANU, this blog post looks at how to improve health and education service delivery in PNG.
- The head of the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, Dr Colin Tukuitonga, reported that the organisation will be focusing more on development effectiveness and accountability.